Wednesday, August 31, 2011

It's the end (of DC's) world as I know it

Week one of the relaunch, where do I stand after all of the huffing and puffing?

Exactly the same.  I'm sampling a few books(Demon Knights, Animal Man, Wonder Woman, All-Star Western, Swamp Thing, )  but if I can't make those books fit into the older continuity(Much how Demon Knights is set in the dark ages and thus shouldn't muck with much) I'm going to not read them long term.  And other than a few marvel titles that really grab me, I'm mostly cutting myself off from the monthlies here soon.  I've grown tired of the rising and infrequent costs of the issues and would rather by them as a trade collection. 

The few books I don't see myself ever dropping until canceled:
Greg Rucka's Punisher
Batwoman
American Vampire
Fables
Ultimate Spider-Man
X-Factor
Uncanny X-Force

That's quite the drop from the 31 titles currently in my pull list. 

In honesty, many factors have gone into my decision to switch to trade waiting, but the DCU relaunch has given me the best oppertunity to just take a wait and see approach to it.
Now barring bad reviews, I will be checking out a few collections by Scott Snyder, Gail Simone, and Grant Morrison when the new 52 trades release, but that's neither here nor there.

Unfortunately for me, trade waiting comes with unexpected downsides aside from a longer wait.
The first is format.  I prefer oversized hardcovers but the recent collected policies of companies is that only items that have proven sell well in collected format get granted the upgrade to oversized status.  This will make my wait for hardcovers even longer.  Moreso, it means that sometimes I'll be double dipping, and thus forced to sell my older copies. 
Second is crossovers.  As I recently learned reading Batgirl, crossovers can sometimes be collected oddly.  Between the first two volumes of Batgirl, issue 8 isn't collected, but is instead in a Red Robin trade.  Now the crossover itself is only one issue of Batgirl and one of Red Robin.  So why can't both collect the story?  The Action Comics/Secret Six crossover is collected in both books, so why not do it here too?  Overall it feels a little off to me. 
Lastly is omnibi, my favorite format of books.  Which are usually the third wave of printing of a given book, so I'll have likely dipped or triple dipped for something but overall this feels more in line with my prefered way of reading.  A few key books being read, a few underloved books being read, but mostly just trades.

alright, stay tuned, the Season 6.5 of Doctor Who Spoiler Warning should be written soon but for now it shall remain a Doctor joke.

No comments: