Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The top 100 films(Fall 2009 edition) - Part 1

So this is going to be a list of the top 100 films in my opinion. Periodically I'll update it because other than slots 1-10, which I put an incredible amount of time and effort into devising, it is roles of 11-100 which I have more trouble with. So I'm going to start at the bottom of the list and work my way up for the next ten days, giving an idea of the films that I have enjoyed and found to be successful.

Number 101: District 9
I'm including this because anyone who read my review of District 9 knows that I was head overheels for this film when I initially watched it, and while yes, I love it just as much, it finally settle as being just under Up and Drag Me to Hell, which are both instant classics of a lifetime.



Number 100: The Crow(1994)
Now I initially saw this film because a friend had mentioned it to me way back int he 1995's and told me about the story behind the film. But up until maybe a year ago, I hadn't had a chance to watch it. It's not because I didn't want to watch it, I simply didn't have access to the film. But now that I've seen it, and read the graphic novel it is based on, I find myself really enjoying it. I consider it in the same Gothic Genre as many of Tim Burton's works and in generally you are going to find that yeah there are a few logic points to be made, and some of it does need some polishing. but the fact that it's lead died 90 percent through the films filming and they were still able to piece together a cohesive film is quite the feat. There is a certain bit of eeriness to the film that might not exist without Brandon Lee's death or the haunting knowledge of how similar it was to his father's death. I honestly consider it a more Tragic accident than Heath Ledger's death for this haunting parallels of the world. No the story does not fit into the real world mechanics of our lives, but it doesn't need to, as many films on this list will prove.

99. Wanted(2008)
I went into this film not having even heard of the graphic novel, having only seen a teaser which boasted a cast(Morgan Freeman, James Macavoy, and Angilina Jolie) that had me impressed enough to go see this opening day. This movie is like a looney toons action movie. It is brutal, graphic, over the top, and has every bit of fun that Kung Fu hustle has(a film that I consider similar, but ultimately I found this story more enriching for my taste). Now, unlike everyone else that I know, I didn't find the story predictable. I found it a bit on the exaggerated side. And ultimately that gave it an Edge that I wasn't familiar with. This, like many other films on this list, isn't flawless(the loom of fate comes to mind) but this is my list damn it, and I enjoy these films. Also its action exceeds that of any of our recent resurrection sequels(I.E. Live Free or Die Hard, Indy 4, SW prequel trilogy).

Number 98. Pulp Fiction(1994)
This is one of those films that I shouldn't need to justify why it is on this list. Great Cast, great direction, great story. I'll take one Tarentino Masterpiece and a Royale with cheese to go.

Number 97. To Kill a Mocking Bird
Now many many hardcore fans of the novel will look down upon this movie, but it is Gregory Pecks performance that really grinds this movie into a place of great power. Plus I love the portrayal of Boo Radley. He acts, sounds, and is exactly as he would in this world. The only complaint I have is that the film feels more like a documentary of these events rather than this tragic story told through the eyes of a child.

Number 96. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban(2004)
Of all the films, I felt this was the best adaptation and Film. It tackles some pretty heavy themes and ideologies but isn't heavy handed about them, instead it is able to offer them to you in a manner that keeps both kids and adults entertained. Plus the film feels so much more grim than the other films as well as introducing the best thing that ever happened to Harry Potter, Gary Oldman's Sirius Black.

Number 95. Howl's Moving Castle(2004)
This was one of those magical mystery tours that Mister Miyazaki takes you on that reminds you just why we need 2D animation in the world. The film earns additional props because of it's use of good American voice casting that actually convey what the original Japaneses were able to attempt. It's quite impressive and works very efficiently for the audience. Some might consider it one of Miyazaki's weakest, but I feel more heart in this film than I do in alot of his films.

Number 94. Gold Finger(Bond) (1964)
One of the earliest Bond films, and often considered the highlight of the series. It boasts amazing performances from its stars, and set the bar for villian tropes for years to come.

number 93. Wizard of Oz(1939)
A classic visual feast that takes some great cast members and delivers a classic Campbell's Hero story that resonates with kids today as well as over 70 years ago.

Number 92. Schindler's list
Another story that will resonate with adults and kids who can pay attention. This story is haunting, and a dream like quality to it helps delude you from constantly remembering that this was a horrific time in our HISTORY and to persuade you that this is just a story. But it was constructed from true events and forms an epically tragic tale that would cement Liam Neisen as one our great actors this generation.


Number 91. Pitch Black
I know what your thinking. What the fuck is Pitch black doing ahead of Schindler's list. And it all comes down to this. I can watch Pitch Black Annually and not want to just hate the world. Instead you are offered a Anti-Hero, who is a villain forced to play nice and fight against a greater threat. The first 30-40 minutes of this movie is the Crew vs Riddick. Its not until the lights go down that Riddick is forced to change sides. This isn't a hero/Villain like Long John Silver, Riddick is a true Foe and he proves it every step of the way. and that is just how I like my horror heroes.

So there you have it, 100-91.
Tommarow you get 90-81.

Peace out yo

No comments: