Friday, September 11, 2009

Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name

Supernatural Season 5 review



SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
NOTE: This review is written by an atheist with a deep love for the scifi elements of Christian Lore.


Episode one, season 5, "Sympathy for the Devil".

Season five kicks off with a...thunder...strike...alright whatever. The Then portion of the show opens up with Ac/Dc song ThunderStruck.
This moment is pretty epic. It's one of the weaker previously on segments. I felt like if you hadn't seen any of season 4, you'd be really confused right now. They didn't put enough push on the Angel's are real moment and continue the annoying plan of here's what you need to remember, rather than letting you be surprised.

We pick back up where season 4 left off and with a certain Fallen Angel getting his rise. I was concerned that certain mythology points might be foregone this season but they are still true to everything established and better than that they gloss over it in place of the episodes story so unless you are looking for it it's not explained, but if you've seen everything to date, it all makes sense.
Sam and Dean's relationship is just as strained as ever. This is less uncomfortable as in season 4, and for my money this makes for more watchability. I love episode 21 of season 4(when the levee breaks) but its hard for me to watch its really uncomfortable because of the places it takes characters. I really hope they bring the brothers back from this strained place quickly because their relationship is one of the key elements of this show so it makes the show harder to watch.
Bobby. Oh man, you are one awesome actor mr. Jim Beaver. I think I'd be sadder if you died then if Sam died. and thus I had a big Nooooooo moment when I thought this was going to end that way. But then I realized we were half way through the ep, and we found you in the hospital making me feel much better, But in general that was a great, earned character moment where no matter what you couldn't get Bobby to something that horrible against his will. That's not to say he didn't do his damage towards the Sam, but it was still painful to watch.
Speaking of Sam, I'm really glad they are making him tortured this season instead of trying to make him sympathetic, Last seasons attempt was a flop and resulted in me hating Sam more than anything. The show continues to push foreword the notion that Dean is running this show and that Sam happens to be there, This is an unfortunate turn the show took after a few episodes in season 3(with a couple notable exceptions) but it's clear this is far more about Dean being the Hero. So I have strong hope for redemption of Sam that the conclusion of this story will place Sam back on equal footing with Dean.
I can only wonder where this show will go post apocalypse(this is season 6.7, or 8 talk) because the show has such a foreword momentum that I'd hate to see lost ala Smallville with cool prelude, sucky overture.
The new Meg, much like the New Ruby last season, is substandard, though I am hoping she will be replaced soon based on obvious story moments.
Then I need to lastly talk about my absolutely fave stuff.
First off, Chuck is great times and the things he connects to only make our show better for it.
The return of Castiel was the single best moment of the show, it truly gives me hope for the pacing and plan for this show.
In a tangential storyline we have what I might end up considering a more brilliant character than Castiel. Lucifer. I had my doubts when I heard sympathetic devil but they brought the A game and set up a villain who is both Maleficent and Persuasive. It's easy to buy that this is a foe who has powers of pure darkness, but doesn't need them. He can talk his way out of the world. I'm curious to see what his grander and more specific plan for revenge on God is.

For those that didn't catch it, Castiel and the Brother's both Magically survived because of God's intervention.
So, stay tuned. This should be one of the few weekly tv reviews I intend to keep up on. I might try switching up the format.



As a side update: there might not be a full pax write up as I was struck by the piggy flu and most of my energy was drained to keep up a log after the fact and now my memories have faded someone. I'll at least get a write up on the MonPoc stuff and the Old Republic Demo.

No comments: