Friday, July 15, 2011

this isn't blackest night, but it certaily isn't brightest day - a review of Green Lantern

Warning:  This review was written on the fly and without any proofreading, the article may change by the end of the day. 

Green Lantern




Yeah. I've been dreading writing this for weeks. I saw it in June but I figured I needed to bring up my opinion on it. And in a word it is Mediocre.

Absolutely and attrociously meh.
 When my companion walked out of the theater and said, "well at least it set up a sequel." I knew that the movie had no hope. Don't get me wrong. It hits every beat of the origin. It shows all of it, it just fails at it. All of the pieces are there, but none of the heart is there. The worst elements are Angela Basset who feels completely out of place and is DC trying to create their own Nick Fury for their films. And it just doesn't work. She isn't interesting, her character isn't accurate to the actual comic character and ultimately she just doesn't do anything. Then the other element is Blake Lively who tries but is ultimately nothing more than a pretty face. She is a compete disgrace. Any goodwill she built in the Town is completely lost here. She is an under achiever. I'm not a fan of her. Reynolds and Mark Strong both do their hardest to let the script be better than it is. They aren't successful. The script is a failure. Character development doesnt' exist. At least in Thor the changes while abrupt were well acted. Here you don't see them. Hal goes from Jerkface coward to Jerkface Cocky man. and it's basically the same character, there is no difference. And then Sinestro...well he barely gets any screentime. I think Abin Sur might get the same ammount. The real falecy is that OA doesn't get it's showcase. This is an earth movie when it needed to be a Space Epic. The things that work best though are the cameos by Corpsmen. The appearence of Bzzd was awesome. The choice of actors for Tamar Re and Killiwog are spot on. But in my mind, the sequel needs to move along and introduce Guy Guardner. Earth has four green lanterns, and introducing new main characters will go a long way to letting Hal Jordan become infected by Paralax. Which reminds me, Paralax is stupid in this movie. He is Galactus Cloud bad and it doesn't represent the villian in any way. I will also say that the lack of Yellow weakness felt like they were cutting out a large section of green lantern histoy.

All in all the story isn't interesting, but you'll never feel the need to walk out. But you will flip the channel. So I give it a D. Marvel is 2 for 2 this year so you still have options for superhero movies.

No comments: