Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Not for the claustraphobic, totally for those who love good movies- a review of buried

(warning this article is without spellcheck as I'm writing away from my normal typing machine, so in a day or so I'll upgrade it.)

I saw this movie, and it was one of two movies this year(that weren't bad) that screamed to me they needed to be talked about. The other, I sadly didn't talk about, but will, this film is called Buried.

The entire movie features only one actor on screen for 90 minutes. In a pine box. Yes, a coffin.

Our hero, played by Ryan Reynolds, was been buried alive and has no idea why.

Stop here if you have any respect for films. Just go see it based on this infomation. It is worth it, trust me.

So here's the review for those unwilling to trust me or who already saw it.

The movie consists of Ryan digging through his pockets, finding what he has with him, including a cell phone, and then proceeds to call people on his limited batery life trying to find help. There is some comedy in this coming from the fact that no one really believes him, especially when he's able to get international calls from inside his pine box. But that's the plot and yes it is good in film, but it isn't what's important. What's important is things like the directing. Our man Rodrigo Cortes just became one of the best directors I've seen, enough that I want to track down his films and see what he can do. The directing here is flawless. It is what good directing should be, equal parts working with his crew and collaboration. I adored it. Trust me, I know it sounds like 90 minutes in a box would get really boring, but it never does. He is a smart director and he keeps the camera angles varied enough that there is a lot of angles. This film needs to be studied. It absolutely needs to be studied and talked about.
The acting, by both our on the phone voices and our cast is fantastic. And by Cast I mean Ryan. He is going to suprise you more than you can imagine. Enough so that you will give him the slack to perform any role he takes. At least until y ou see it.

This movie is an A+. Absolute Mastery of the craft and the storytelling medium.

No comments: