Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The top 100 films(Fall 2009 edition) - Part 5

60.the Prestige(2006)
Director: Christopher Nolan
An interesting departure from Batman Begins that returns back to the style that has made this man famous. The Prestige does everything that The Illusionist had wanted to do but failed. I've found it enjoyable upon multiple viewings and suggest a second look if you weren't sure about it your first time.

59.Fantasia(1940)
Director: Various
Music? Check. Animation? Check. Together? Check check. I'm not a musical-ologist. I don't study music. But I was moved by a number of the musical numbers in conjunction with the images presented to me in a way that I'm not by either one by their lonesome.

58.Shawshank Redemption(1994)
Director: Frank Darabont
Please don't make me explain why this film has to be on this list.


57.Die Hard(1988)
Director: John McTiernan
This is the quintessential action/Comedy.

56.Rear Window(1954)
Director: Hitchcock


55.Nightmare Before Christmas(1993)
Director: Henry Selick
This comes with a caveat. I can only suggest this film if you can A) stand stop motion, B) stand musicals, and C) stand the film that basically started the Emo movement. Get past those three things and you will find yourself immersed in a great universe that is so rich and textured that after your first viewing, start watching the background for all of the colorful characters.

54.Stand By Me(1986)
Director: Rob Reiner
Not exactly what you expect out of Stephen King but the film does rock a cool story about growing up and really defines coming of age movie for me.

53.The Matrix(1999)
Director: Wachowski brothers
I am sure you have heard every thing to be said against this film. You might have heard the things in favor of this film. But there

52.Star trek Wrath of Khan(1982)
Director: Nicholas Meyer
I know I said that the 2009 film was really good and might have said it was better because it was more easily accessible. all of which is true. But if you love that classic series, and even if you don't, this is the highlight of the original time line. Khan proves to be an epic film filled with interesting characters and Ricardo Montaban's Pecks of doom.

51.Unbreakable(2000)
Director: M. Night Shyamalan

In my opinion, this is the only M. Night movie worth a dime. It is a really cool, original super hero story that's not. I know, your saying "Max, that doesn't make any sense." Well let me explain. This is a movie about a man who has a super power. But he goes about it the way many people would, which is hesitantly. Yes the twist is obvious like all M Night twists. But you get two really interesting characters out of Sam Jackson and Bruce Willis and it is one of those experiences that may not have a profound affect on you, but it does show that even before The Dark Knight, there were people out there trying to get the idea of super heroes taken seriously.

No comments: