Saturday, February 5, 2011

A triumphant celebration of Humanity - a review of The King's Speech

As the days roll closer to and pass oscar season, you'll hear more about this film. It is a film that is going to be leading the charge and for good reason. The King's Speech is the story of the Duke of York, his rise to the status of King and dealing with his Speech impedement. This is one of those great experiences where you want to talk about it about the end of time and yet you don't want to spoil the experience for anyone else. Let's be frank though, I should likely qualify the experience I had so that I can give some kind of credence to calling myself a reviewer. The music is quite good. It has such poise and grace that it sets up the entire experience without trying. It is one of those great soundtracks where the first time you watch you might not notice it, but by the end of the second you will be in love. I know, that's a lot of hyperbole to say that it was great, but whatever. If you didn't get it by now this isn't a review so much as a love letter explaining why I love this movie. The acting is simply sublime. Colin Firth out does himself here and is quite moving and personable. Geofrey Rush does a great job here as well and really reminds us why he is so brilliant. And then there is Helena Carter who is the true gem here with her most understated performance, ever. I wasn't overly impressed by the directing but I can't say I was anywhere near disapointed by it either.
This is an absolute A. Easily one of the two best films of the year.

No comments: