Thursday, January 13, 2011

A movie that didn't know what it had going for it - a review of the Social Network

I want to start by saying I didn't fall in love with this movie. It is well done, it is strong, it is filled to the brim with amazing performances and fantastic dialouge. However, it is also a little blind as to what the story is about and doesn't seem to know where to focus. This is a movie about the creators of Facebook.
But instead it focuses pretty specificly on Mark Zuckerberg. But for me the real star and the only really likable character with a good storyarc is his best friend Edwardo. And I understand that Aaron Soarkin was likely focusing on Mark either because he had to because that was the story that was licensed or because he was the character he could most relate to, however to much of the movie starts to fall apart in the last third for me to be able to champion the writing. But again, the dialogue is spot on.
The director, David Fincher, is of course a genius at what he does and other than a few exploitive shots his work was expertly crafted.
Okay, now that I've gotten my unremarkable critiques out of the way I want to talk about the part that I agree with everyone on. The acting is phenomenal. There are some incredibly well performed performances here and the film is fantastic for it. Andrew Garfield is subtle and loveable. Justin Timberlake is cruel and the man you love to hate. Jesse Eisenberg falls in the middle of the two types of characters and really feels a bit like Orson Welles at times. The supporting cast works well with what they are given but outside of those three, none of the actors are really given a chance to show something resembling good, emotional acting.
This movie for me is an A-. It really is a great film, but in a sea of great films for me to choose from, all boasting great acting, this movie didn't live up to the hype for me.

No comments: