Sunday, May 15, 2011

Dylan Dog: Mediocre Detective - a review of Dylan Dog Dead of Night

Alright, I don't want to spend to long thinking about this film. You see, this is the kind of film where if you spend too much time thinking about it, it's a bad movie. It's genuinely got poor effects, poor sound, poor practical effects, poor kittens, and poor hot chicks.
So let's break this down. This movie is poor. Or rather, Cheap. This movie originally was going to have a big budget, but just before filming began they had that budget eviscerated. So suddenly what could have been a great summer opener became and indie film to be released when no one was looking. Hell, I saw an ad for this movie, and had a hard time finding it. In fact, the only reason I ended up seeing it was because I got sent Run Of Engagement passes and happen to be at the right place at the right time. And then, unsuprisingly there were four people in my theater: myself, an older gentlemen with a pad and paper, and a late twenties couple loudly making out.
I know all of this because this movie has a few parts that drag. You see, there are two performances that are at the very least entertaining to watch work their magic, and I'd love to see them go head to head in something calibrated to them. I'm talking about the awesome Taye Diggs, who plays a vampire that runs a vampire club, and Brandon Routh who plays our former detective, Dylan Dog. This movie is the classic detective story with a supernatural twist. I won't say horror, because it really doesn't feel like horror. It's a mystery(though not a thriller, a subgenre that often gets ignored) with elements of comedy mixed in. There are some genuinly interesting ideas here, and a handful that are actually pretty good in execution. But outside of Brandon and Taye the acting tops out at Hey, it's Jimmy Olsen, droping back down to "This is my emoting face. Can't you tell since it's my horny/angry/betraying/sad face." There was clearly some good visions here in concept, likely the source material, but in execution most of it falls flat. When it eventually reaches netflix, as these things do, it'll be worth your time to gander. Think of it like a direct to video movie or a scifi original movie. Not good by most standards, but sometimes if just ever so watchable.
Do I say go out of your way for this? Not really unless you are a hardcore fan of Brandon or Taye, which being both made this movie a worth my hour and fifty minutes.
The plot is really predictable, the music is very meh and the graphics are about on par with doctor who. But the perfect audience for this movie is 10-12 year olds who want something that is their kind of humour but not too complex or too scary or too adult. There is only one real pg-13 moment, but it's so brief that most 10-12 year olds will be watching worse on their programs.
I'd give the movie a D. It's not a failure, but it's never good.

No comments: