Sunday, April 10, 2011

Son of Bowie doesn't hit it as far, but still scores - A review of Source Code

Son of Bowie, Duncan Jones, hits it out of the park again(though not quite as far). I will say, I'm a little disappointed it wasn't the sequel to Moon I was expecting. And it didn't sucker punch me with it's topic the way Moon did. in general, I'd say that that it was a success though it felt more mainstream and less brave than his previous effort.

This will remain a spoiler-free review but the basic premise is that Captain Colter Stevens is dropped into the body of another man and suddenly has to solve a crime, with only 8 minute bursts to figure out when a terrorist will attack again.

What does this movie rock? Storytelling. It its well paced and unfolds the story perfectly. The movie never does anything to telegraph things(except a few things that I could easily figure out just by setting, but my companion could not). The plot takes some really interesting turns, and overall never fails to put character and heart over plot and convenience.

The acting is incredibly solid and often is pretty impressive.

The flaws? Well there are some loose ends and the endgame scenario feels a little bit out of place from the rest of the movie. In fact, the last 2-3 minutes feels like it was shoehorned in,easily the weakest segment of the movie. So what can I say, this is a solid B.


No comments: